2008: ROUND 21

vs Wests Tigers

Match Details
Match Date 3rd Aug, 2008
Opponent Wests Tigers
Result Loss
Coach Steven Folkes
Captain Andrew Ryan
Venue Homebush (ANZ Stadium)
Crowd 16,121
Referee Ben Cummins

The Wests Tigers have handed the Bulldogs their equal fifth biggest loss since the Club's establishment in 1935, the Bulldogs going down 56-4 at ANZ Stadium as the Tigers piled on 10 tries.

Six minutes in, after starting well, the Bulldogs gave away two penalties in quick succession and from there the Wests Tigers broke the line and dove over to score through fullback Shannon Gallant. Benji Marshall added the extras and just three minutes later his kicking tee was called upon once more after Chris Heighington found the try line to give the home side an early 12-0 lead.

After going down 30-0 last week to the Dragons, the Bulldogs defence was already under the spotlight less than 10 minutes into the match as the Tigers broke the line twice.

The Bulldogs found themselves on the attack for two sets-of-six but showed no sense of direction. Halfback Daniel Holdsworth attempted to grubber the ball ahead only to find the opposition snatch the ball and race away. Fortunately for the blue-and-whites young Aaron Groom saved a certain try when he knocked the ball from the Tigers paws.

After 20 minutes of play and several wasted opportunities it looked as though the Doggies were going to repeat Monday night's performance against the Dragons where they simply couldn't execute the final pass. However they finally posted points when Brent Crisp bombed for himself before Ben Roberts took control, finding winger Heka Nanai out wide to score. El Masri narrowly missed the conversion and the scoreboard read 12-4 in favour of the Wests Tigers.

Toyota Cup sensation Ben Barba was then called upon after Groom headed into the sheds with a wrist injury. The Bulldogs then found themselves hot on the attack once more yet despite all the possession they failed to post any further points.

The Wests Tigers then showed the Bulldogs how it's done moments later when they got through some poor defence to score their third try of the afternoon. Marshall converted and with 10 minutes remaining until the break, put his side ahead 18-4.

The scoreline then quickly increased to 28-4 when Tigers winger Peni Tagive scored out wide followed by a try to Liam Fulton just before haltime. Marshall converted the Fulton try and the Tigers went into the sheds with an unbeatable lead.

The Bulldogs started the final forty with two big chances but dropped the ball on both occasions. Lee Te Maari then performed a Scott Sattler like tackle as the Tigers raced away down the sideline.

The try-saving tackle did not spur the Dogs on however as the Tigers opened their second half account through Dene Halatau and Marshall converted to make it 34-4 after 50 minutes.

Ben Barba has found himself on the end of some strong tackles and has missed a few also. However the young gun managed to stop big Daine Laurie from crossing the chalk with a courageous effort.

Soon after though Benji Marshall scored the Tigers seventh for the afternoon and converted.

Ten minutes later the home side were nearly in again only for the video referee to rule obstruction. Moments later it was the same outcome as video ref Chris Ward denied the blue-and-whites also.

The Dogs were simply no match for the Tigers as they added a further three tries, including a double to Ben Te'o.

Source: ABC 

Player Position Tries Goals F Goals Points
Brent Crisp Fullback 0 0 0 0
Heka Nanai Wing 1 0 0 4
Hazem El Masri Wing 0 0 0 0
Daryl Millard Centre 0 0 0 0
Andrew Emelio Centre 0 0 0 0
Ben Roberts Five Eighth 0 0 0 0
Daniel Holdsworth Half Back 0 0 0 0
Reni Maitua Lock 0 0 0 0
Andrew Ryan Second Row 0 0 0 0
Nick Kouparitsas Second Row 0 0 0 0
Fred Briggs Front Row 0 0 0 0
Chris Armit Front Row 0 0 0 0
Aaron Groom Hooker 0 0 0 0
Charlie Leaeno Replacement 0 0 0 0
Brad Morrin Replacement 0 0 0 0
Lee Te Maari Replacement 0 0 0 0
Ben Barba Replacement 0 0 0 0
Total: 1 0 0 4